blogging as a research tool

Saturday, June 03, 2006

Reflections on previous blogs

Ok - so an area that i have forgotten to mention is the previous blog that I created. So here i will reflect a little upon the process of creating that.

firstly - choosing a name!!! how do you do this, what is the focus going to be. Do you create something catchy and attractive, or something that sums up exactly what it is? I guess there is something abou the motivation for creating the blog in the first place.

secondly - therapy? is blogging similar to writing therapy? well inevitably there are overlaps. My experience is that it's quite therapeutic. Now would be a great time to have a rant abou the phd panel process that they have at manchester, but i won't go there this time.

thirdly - task focussed blogging - all of my blogs have been set up with a particualr purpose in mind - eg this one to reflect upon blogging. This seems different than more creative blogs, but maybe there's a big fuzzy line between them.

forthly - do you add pictures/can you add pictures . I haven't quite worked out where pictures go here. MSN had a good picture book facility that gave a nice visual element to the blog. So far all i've put here is a pic of myself. I guess this is something abou thte type of space that you're using.

fifthly - using blogging in my previous research didn't really inspire me a great deal. In fact the idea of doing it proved much more entertatining than doing it!!! Also i never really found the data that i generated by doing it to be particularly useful.....well not in comparison to that generated using forums anyhow. In contrast doing this seems at least a little useful.

I'm sure is more to say but it's sunny outside - i'll try and capture more thoughts later - in fact there's one - wireless access in parks may make blogging more appertising on sunny days. Although i guess you can use blackberries and stuff like that already if you want to. Ahha - therefore it's kinda a minority technology, and only really available to those with some computer knowhow.

:)

1 Comments:

At 1:20 PM, Blogger ---terry--- said...

Hi gudrun

thanks for the company!!! I'm sure using a blog to keep a record of articles etc can only be a good thing. As long as you don't forget where your blog is like i have done with my previous one - however i may have found it again

as for the interactive thing - mmm - well it's cool. I think that it makes a difference that i know you and trust you. It's strange that others may stumble across this page and read it. If they posted something on it I would probably be much more guarded about my response - maybe try to make myself sound more like i know what i'm doing - :). Not sure if it's a complement to be openly ignorant with you but it seems quite cool to me - parallels to the therapeutic encounter again there.

Anyhow i'm gonna create a new post myself.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home